QD Examiner Privacy Notice
Effective date: 10 May 2019
1. Elisabeth Briggs, Forensic Document Examiner, provide expert witness services and consultancy. This privacy notice provides information about the personal information I process about you as a data controller, in compliance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
2. My ICO registration number is ZA500680.
3. Please contact me, Elisabeth Briggs, at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or requests about the personal information I process.
4. I am committed to protecting your rights to privacy. They include:
● Right to be informed about what I do with your personal data;
● Right to have a copy of all the personal information I process about you;
● Right to rectification of any inaccurate data I process, and to add to the information I hold about you if it is incomplete;
● Right to be forgotten and your personal data destroyed;
● Right to restrict the processing of your personal data;
● Right to object to the processing I carry out based on our legitimate interest.
The personal data I process, why I process it, where it comes from and the legal basis for doing so
5. I process the personal data of individuals who are obtaining legal advice or are engaged in a legal dispute, and also the personal data of witnesses and others with links to the issues in the case.
6. The personal data may include:
● Names, contact details and dates of birth;
● Financial information and bank details;
● Health information;
● Information about race, ethnic origin and sex;
● Documents of a personal nature
● Business documents
● Cookies and Usage Data *see end of document*
7. The personal data are generally provided by the person instructing me in relation to the legal issues. I may receive data either prior to a submission (by email or telephone) or as part of a formal instruction to carry out casework.
8. I process the data because it is in my legitimate interests as an expert witness to do so. I need to see and analyse documents containing this information in order to provide expert advice.
9. In relation to any special category personal data, such as health records or information concerning race, ethnic origin, or sex, I rely on the legal claims basis for processing this data, in addition to my legitimate interest.
10. In many cases, an individual has consented to the transfer of their personal data to me. Where an individual has consented, he or she may easily withdraw it by notifying Elisabeth Briggs at email@example.com as above.
Other personal data
11. I also process personal data pursuant to legitimate interests in running my business such as:
● Invoices and receipts;
● Accounts and tax returns;
● Insurance policies and related documents;
12. Personal data in legal cases is retained, where necessary, for six years in compliance with my professional indemnity obligations. Where this is not necessary, it may be destroyed on the conclusion of the case.
13. Administrative data is retained for up to six years as necessary, in the unlikely event there are queries from HMRC. Where it is not necessary to retain the data for six years, it is destroyed as soon as possible.
Whom do I share personal data with?
14. I share personal data internally strictly on a need to know basis.
15. Special category data held electronically are stored with restricted access. Hard copy special category and other personal data is stored securely with restricted access.
16. I do not share personal data with anyone external to the organisation, other than with:
● Those who have instructed me as an expert witness
● HMRC and the VAT Commissioner as they require
● With others pursuant to a court order
Links To Other Sites
Information Commissioner's Office
19. If you have any concerns about the way your personal information has been processed, please contact Elisabeth Briggs as above. Alternatively, you may contact the Information Commissioner's Office on 0303 123 1113.
Elisabeth Briggs/QD Examiner operates the www.qdexaminer.co.uk website.
I may view information on how the website is accessed and used ("Usage Data"). This Usage Data may include information such as your computer's Internet Protocol address (e.g. IP address), browser type, browser version, the pages of the website that you visit, the time and date of your visit, the time spent on those pages, unique device identifiers and other diagnostic data.
Tracking & Cookies Data
Cookies are files with small amount of data which may include an anonymous unique identifier. Cookies are sent to your browser from a website and stored on your device. Tracking technologies also used are beacons, tags, and scripts to collect and track information and to improve and analyze the website.
You can instruct your browser to refuse all cookies or to indicate when a cookie is being sent. However, if you do not accept cookies, you may not be able to use some portions of the website. You can learn more how to manage cookies at the AboutCookies.org website.
Examples of Cookies used:
● Session Cookies. These cookies are erased when you close your browser, and do not collect information from your computer. They typically store information in the form of a session identification that does not personally identify the user.
● Preference Cookies. These cookies are stored on your hard drive until they expire or until you delete them. These cookies are used to collect identifying information about the user, such as Web surfing behaviour or user preferences for a specific site.
Security Of Data
The security of your data is important to me, but remember that no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage is 100% secure. While I strive to use commercially acceptable means to protect your Personal Data, I cannot guarantee its absolute security.
I employ third party companies and individuals to facilitate the website ("Service Providers"), to provide the website on my behalf, to perform website-related functions or to assist me in analyzing how the website is used. These third parties have access to your Personal Data only to perform these tasks on my behalf and are obliged not to disclose or use it for any other purpose.
Google Analytics is a web analytics service offered by Google that tracks and reports website traffic. Google uses the data collected to track and monitor the use of the website. This data is shared with other Google services. Google may use the collected data to contextualize and personalize the ads of its own advertising network.
For more information on the privacy practices of Google, please visit the Google Privacy & Terms web page:
This website uses Yandex.Metrica web analytics provided by YANDEX LLC, 16, Leo Tolstoy St., Moscow, 119021, Russia (hereinafter referred to as the “Yandex”). Yandex.Metrica uses “cookies,” small text files placed on users’ computers to analyze user activity.
You can opt out of using cookie files by choosing the corresponding settings in your browser. You can also use the tool https://yandex.com/support/metrika/general/opt-out.html. However, it can affect some website functions. By using this website, you agree that Yandex can process your data in the above manner and for the above purposes.